I am still puzzled as to which app was soaking up the juice, I suspect a 
magazine app trying unsuccessfully to download.   This has never been an issue 
before and I will take cared of it for now with good housekeeping.   Normal use 
by the two of us seems to call for a recharge about every four or five days so 
this was a real anomaly.   
Another useful lesson learned.  
Thanks as always to our WAMUG gem!   
Severin

On 1 Nov 2013, at 3:47 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> You're welcome Severin,
> 
> Yes, sleep still uses some battery, shutdown uses none.
> My iPad & iPhone though are never shutdown, always just sleep, so do my 
> computers.
> 
> It is a good idea to shut apps down when not using them as apps running in 
> the background can wreak havoc on battery life. There are some apps that do 
> background tasks which will drain the battery. 
> 
> Example, it's great to let google maps run in the background but if you're 
> not using google maps and it is running you may be wasting power.
> Any Stock Market app downloading the latest stock prices, or a weather app 
> downloading latest weather or other apps processing or sending out data, or 
> tracking your location while its not in the foreground.
> 
> Best to turn anything you are not using off, but still be able to use your 
> iDevice to your satisfaction. If you want to have everything on, just 
> remember to plug it into power every time an opportunity arises ;-))
> 
> Kind Regards,
> Ronni
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
> 
> On 1 Nov 2013, at 3:16 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Many thanks, Ronni!   Most of what you suggested I a had already done, to no 
>> avail.  The one thing fresh was getting rid of ALL the running apps and 
>> there was a stack of them!  That would seem to be a sensible bit of daily 
>> maintenance.  Sleep is obviously very different from ShutDown.  
>> Will keep a close watch but I think a big tick for problem solved is in 
>> order.  
>> Best wishes and thanks again
>> Severin
>> 
>> On 1 Nov 2013, at 11:35 am, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi Severin,
>>> 
>>> Turn off what you're not using:
>>> 
>>> Anything running on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad uses up the battery.
>>> Turn off Background app and content refresh: Don't waste power downloading 
>>> things when you don't explicitly need to. 
>>> Settings, General, Background App Refresh shows you everything you can turn 
>>> off. 
>>> 
>>> Also go to Settings, iTunes & App Store and turn off  Automatic Downloads.
>>> 
>>> Turn off Location Services. Go to Settings, Privacy, Location Services, and 
>>> turn off any app and system service you really don't need
>>> tracking or using your location. 
>>> 
>>> Quit power hungry apps. Double-click the Home Button to activate the 
>>> multitasking view and quit, hold your finger down on power
>>> hungry apps,  swipe the app’s screenshot up and off the screen.
>>> This is key for apps like VoIP (like Skype), streaming audio (like 
>>> Pandora), or navigation (like TomTom). 
>>> Anything running all the time will drain battery. That's how batteries work.
>>> 
>>> Set Auto-Lock to 1 minute
>>> Turn down the screen brightness
>>> Turn off Bluetooth when not using it
>>> Turn off Wi-Fi when not using it
>>> Set all email, calendar, and contacts accounts to "Fetch" (turn off Push)
>>> 
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni
>>> 
>>> 17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
>>> 2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD
>>> 
>>> OS X 10.9 Mavericks
>>> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On 1 Nov 2013, at 10:44 am, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> I updated to iOS7 on my iPad mini some days ago, a smooth process and I am 
>>>> happy with the result, like all changes they take a bit of getting used to 
>>>> but in the end the benefits are well worth it.  When the iOS7.0.3 update 
>>>> showed I went ahead with that and again all seemed fine.  Next time I went 
>>>> to the iPad after some hours with it asleep, i.e. the cover closed, all I 
>>>> got was the flat battery symbol, quite unexpected.   Recharged and all 
>>>> working fine.  Quite a few comments on the internet on heavy drain with 
>>>> iOS7 so I went through and disabled everything in sight while still 
>>>> retaining basic functionality.  While asleep the battery discharge 
>>>> remained at 10% per hour though it ceased when iPad shut down.  Switching 
>>>> off Carrier/Automatic  then selecting Telstra implicitly (vodafone AU and 
>>>> YES OPTUS) also appear in the list seems to have cured it for the moment.  
>>>>  I will obviously watch carefully and run on minimum options before 
>>>> selecting back the ones I would like to have.  
>>>> I am in quite unfamiliar territory, would you believe I do not have a 
>>>> mobile phone!  I believe I have a 3G SIM installed, from memory, but see 
>>>> 4G as an option to use for faster transfer.  Normally I use WiFi but the 
>>>> other is useful first thing in the morning before other things power up 
>>>> and when away from home for whatever.  
>>>> Informed comment/advice would be most welcome!  
>>>> Severin Crisp
>>>> ____________________________________________________
>>>> 
>>>>              Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
>>>> 15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
>>>>                   ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
>>>>                            mail to: [email protected]
>>>> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

____________________________________________________

             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
                  ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                           mail to: [email protected]
____________________________________________________



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>