Hello Alan,

On 19 Nov 2013, at 3:16 pm, Alan Fenton <alc...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have upgraded to Mavericks then others and I believe down graded to
> Numbers. ( Did Micro$oft pay the Numbers programmer, designer).

Yes, unfortunately for Pro users of iWork... Apple has essentially turned
"iWork for Mac into iWork for iOS".
At least Apple ensured that existing users (like myself) who upgrade their apps
are able to continue using the ‘09 version by automatically keeping a copy of
it in a backup folder.

New converts to OS X and those who have yet to try iWork won’t have the benefit
of a full-featured suite, as only the latest version is available from the Mac
App Store.

 iMovie and Pages have both been downgraded to glorified IOS Apps.

> If I do not use iMovie or Keynote do I need to upgrade them?

If you don't use either don't upgrade them.

> So far I have not needed the above to view e-mails.

They don't have anything to do with viewing emails.

> Are the above used to view other information such as from web pages?

No.

> From  Alan.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)