Thanks for the comments, Peter.
Let me emphasise the problem again.
 1. The document basically a table (Word .doc from 93 PC version) opens and
displays correctly in my MS Office 2011, Word 14.3.9
 2.  When I print, on any of three printers, a few values, which are calculated
within Word are incorrect, some are unaffected.  Non calculated values are
fine.
 3. When I save as PDF from the print dialog corruption occurs as in printing
 4. If I open the document in Acrobat 11, the same corruption occurs
 5. Text Edit can not open the document sensibly
 6.  Preview opens and prints correctly, though the setting out is disturbed
 7. If I save from Word as .rtf, then open and print from Text Edit, the
numbers are fine but once again the setting out is disturbed.

All in all, most annoying!

Severin Crisp

On 20 Dec 2013, at 7:40 am, Peter Hinchliffe <hinch...@multiline.com.au> wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2013, at 3:47 pm, Severin Crisp <sevcr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I regularly receive a report in Word.doc format from someone with a PC and
>> Word 2003.  The document is in fact a table and has some calculations
>> embedded in it.  It displays correctly on screen but some, not all, of the
>> calculated cells have incorrect values in them when printed.  The same thing
>> happens when I save as PDF so I suspect a postscript mismatch is the
>> culprit.  Though it looks awful it saves as .rtf correctly.  I have latest
>> MS Office and it gets it wrong if I save as a .docx.
>> Most annoying, comments please!
>
> A few ideas:
>
> 1. What happens if you open the file in something else that will read .doc
> files, eg, TextEdit or Open Office or any of its clones (NeoOffice, etc -
> assuming have any of the latter)?
>
> 2. Do you know the syntax of the calculations? Could you re-enter them into
> your onscreen document? A bit of a nuisance but it might work.
>
> 3. I'm also wondering if there isn't some reliance on a macro set up which
> isn't available to you
>
> Sorry I can't of more help. It does seem likely that there may be some
> internal structural problems with the file.
>
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948

             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
                  ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                           mail to: sevcr...@westnet.com.au