On 26 Feb 2014, at 2:10 pm, Barry Sexstone <bjsexst...@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> This morning i attempted to update my iMac OS from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2  It
> appeared to go through the normal update procedure and shutdown as expected
> for a restart.   The restart was unsuccessful and went only as far as the
> Apple logo and spinning gear wheel and no further.   The machine would not
> boot from the recovery partition but did reboot from my backup disk.
> Has anyone had a similar experience after updating?
>
> I have re-installed Mavericks from my original USB thumb drive but of course
> and all seems to be working OK.   Of course my OS is now 10.9 and I am
> somewhat wary about trying again to update.
>
> Any advice most welcome.
>
> Barry

Hi Barry,

When the computer restarts after downloading the update, and the Apple log
appears & spinning 'cog' gear...  indicates that installation is happening. My
Combo installation took 10mins to complete.

I installed the OS X 10.9.2 Update (Combo) this morning without any problems.
I always download the Combo Update and install OS X updates this way:

1. Repair Permissions
2. Install the Combo Update
3. After installation completes I run Software Update (install anything that
appears)
4. Repair Permissions

I would suggest you do the above.
You can download the 'Combo' update at this link:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1726>
File Size: 859.7 MB

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)