Ronni

Thanks for your advice.   As I have followed your advice in the past I actually
did as you suggest with the exception I down loaded the update from the App
store.  I am aware that the update can take a while to complete,  but over an
hour?   I will try again later in the week using the combo update,  meanwhile I
have reinstalled 10.9 from my thumb drive and all appears well.

Barry