There are also free GPS map apps eg:
<http://www.macworld.com.au/app-guide/navfree-for-ipad-and-iphone-65804/>

I had not found these (or bought an iPad) when we last did an overseas trip
- so I don't know how well the UK one works - but I have since downloaded
the Oz & UK ones onto the iPad and the Oz one seems to work well.

One thing to be aware of - each upgrade must involve the whole app (with
maps) so is several hundred MB - so best not to do this on your paid mobile
data allowance ;o)   - on the other hand, I assume this means regular map
updates.

I haven't tried it on the phone.

Cheers

Neil