Hi Ronni,

Sorry, forgot to mention it but I did try the Save Mode and it still gave
the same problem.

I had forgotten about the Console App. When I started the Console App on of
the first things that I noticed was an entry about an installer for an App
called Completer.app.

Some research showed this to be the bad one! It is part of a lot of stuff
installed by a rogue app by Geneio Innovation.

FURTHER RESEARCH PROVED I SHOULD NEVER LET GUESTS USE MY COMPUTER, THEY
DOWNLOAD STUFF THEY HAVE IDEA WHAT IT IS FOR. It was downloaded about two
weeks ago.

In this case all it managed to install is the browser extension,
fortunately it crashed the Mac before it installed the other almost twenty
files! The only thing I don't understand is why it only tried to install
starting yesterday...

Here is the URL with all the info: http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-genieo/

So, thanks for the assistance, as usual I would be lost without your expert
help!

Regards,

Paul