Jon,
You might like to run the diagnostic tool called EtreCheck.
You can read about it here (and there is a download link on the page)
It should help identify the kernel extension or third party software that might
be affecting your computer
Of course this presumes you can start the computer to run EtreCheck
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6171

hope this helps.

robin