Hi Jon,

On 21 Jul 2014, at 3:20 pm, Jon Davison <jondcamera...@me.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your help with the iMac issue thatI had. I erased and
> reinstalled Leopard on the system and so far it seems pretty stable. There
> are still a few horizontal lines, but only one or two. So I was wondering if
> it may be a RAM problem.

It could be a faulty RAM module.
Did you run AHT (Apple Hardware Test) for this iMac as Peter H suggested
earlier?
/Quote:
You could also try starting up with the Apple Hardware Test by holding down the
"D" key during startup (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509). This will give you
a chance to test the graphics support.
/End Quote:
---

The hardware tests are built for a specific system, so if you have a restore
disc that contains tests for a Mac Pro, you will not be able to use this on a
Mac Mini or iMac system. Additionally, tests for a newer model iMac may not
work properly on an older iMac system, with the same restriction also applying
for other Mac models.

To run the tests, you select the “Hardware Tests” section and click the big
“Test” button in the box to the right of the window. The tests will check your
CPU, GPU, memory, firmware, and other components, but if you wish to run an
extensive memory test then you can do this as well by checking the check box
under the Test button. Doing this will have the system meticulously test each
section of RAM, but in doing so will increase the testing time from about 5 to
10 minutes to 30 to 60 minutes or longer, depending on the amount of RAM you
have installed on your system and the speed of the RAM.

When the tests are run, you may hear the system’s fans spin up at high speeds,
but this is a normal occurrence for the system to when the hardware is being
used without an operating system loaded.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)