Hi Jon,

Did you try starting up normally after Verbose Mode "Removed one orphaned /
unlinked files and 3689 directories"?
If you cannot startup normally.
Disconnect any devices attached to the iMac and follow the instructions below
precisely.

1. Start Up in Single User Mode:
Single User Mode with "fsck": (Command-S) Running the "fsck" tool directly will
launch the "fsck_hfs" tool on HFS and HFS+ volumes.

1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold  'Command-S' keys until you see some scrolling
UNIX code on a black background.
    This allows you to run fsck   (File System Check)
4. When it finally stops at  at the localhost# prompt  Type fsck -fy  (note the
space after fsck before the hyphen), then press Return
    (The y means "yes", as in "yes, I want you to fix any problems
automatically")

5. Now the file system check program takes over, running through the five sets
of tests.
    When its complete, you'll see one of two messages.

A) The Volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.
     All is well. Type exit and press Return to proceed to the usual login
screen and desktop

OR

B) File system was modified. A good sign, but just a beginning. You need to run
the program again.
     One fsck pass often repairs only one layer of problems, leaving another to
be patched in the next pass.
     Type fsck -fy a second time, a third time, and so on, until you finally
arrive at a "Disk appears to be OK" message.
     Type exit and press Return to get back to the familiar world of icons and
windows.