Unfortunately that didn't work either, but at least I know how to do it now!

Two more questions if I may.  First if I connect the laptop to the iMac
with an ethernet would I then be able to print a document urgently needed.
Second.  I think our back up external disc may be corrupted.  Would it be
safe to connect up a new disc and backup everything at this stage. (I can't
see why not, but…).

My apologies for seeming to have lost control of "send"

Regards, Jennifer