I use the Command-Shift-4 sequence to select part of the Desktop for a
number of purposes -- the image is saved (by default to Desktop) as a
'Screen shot ...date/time...png' file. It's a good way to quickly capture a
web-usable image from a web source or a graphics-handling app without
having to Save it from the app.

However, when I recently tried this on a paused frame of a video clip, the
sequence just produces a grey-white chequerboard pattern of the same size
as the selection. Can anyone tell why this is, and maybe how to save a
video frame?

Cheers, David Noel