Any reason "Why" you are using Chrome instead of Safari?
Safari in Yosemite is faster than Chrome and Firefox

<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/22/apple-encouraging-safari-downloads/
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/22/apple-encouraging-safari-downloads/>>

<http://www.cnet.com/au/news/safari-8-browser-on-yosemite-shows-major-speed-boost/

<http://www.cnet.com/au/news/safari-8-browser-on-yosemite-shows-major-speed-boost/>>

I don't have Chrome installed and won't install it.

Either ‘Shift-Command-F’ or ‘Ctrl-Command-F’ should solve it if it was just
that.  It is NOT that.  It's some sort of bug.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

OS X 10.10 Yosemite