Dear Ronni and Marcus,
I really wasn't suspecting an accusation!  Just clarifying that this was
not a possible trigger.  Because of the way our accounts are set up we have
chosen not to use iCloud (probably an indication of our lack of knowhow).
For the present, I think I will close mail on my phone and iPad and then
when I see from my junk mail on the desk top that the spam has subsided, I
can start them up again.
There must be a lot of very strange and sad people in this cyber world! :-)

Thank you all for your suggestions and information.

Regards,
Jennifer