As long as you are certain you are happy with Photos, & you are certain the
Library has migrated successfully, you can delete the old iPhoto app & iPhoto
Library if you wish.
The Library, as you mentioned, is 'virtual' as both are hard linked to the same
files.

Deleting either Library will not delete the pictures, only deleting both
Libraries will do that.

A nice sunny day here today 19° after damp morning.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4