Hi, I have a 200+GB music library and this afternoon I was playing some of it
using the great “Up Next” feature and when I added one song as the next song,
iTunes playback stopped when it got to that song and couldn’t find the track to
play back. On further inspection, there were quite a few songs with the “!”
alongside indicating iTunes couldn’t locate the file. When I traced a
particular example of this, I found the folder in Finder. It was in a folder
called "Fleetwood Mac-1”. It was obviously a folder which iTunes had relabelled
during a previous operation perhaps years ago so I am probably the cause of
this all. Sitting beneath “Fleetwood Mac-1” were  6 albums which upon further
checking a number of songs in there were also not mapped in iTunes properly. I
did a “Add to Library” at the “Fleetwood Mac-1” level hence capturing
everything subordinate to that folder address. In the process I probably caused
some duplicates of some songs - but I am ok with that.

In any case, is there a way to do a full reverse looking of everything in my
“Music” root folder to see that every file has a linkage to a file that iTunes
thinks exists? A forward looking check may not necessarily ensure every iTunes
record has a file it is mapped to.

Not sure if I made that clear but I hope someone can assimilate with the issue
I’ve got here.

Thanks.

Pete