Hi Peter,

If you don¹t find a method/script to do what you want, there are certainly
scripts that will remove the duplicate tracks.
See <https://www.google.com.au/search?q=itunes+scripts+duplicate+tracks>

Whilst I haven¹t had to do this myself, I have used several of Doug¹s
AppleScripts for iTunes with good results ­ he has been doing this for
years:
 <http://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php>

If you look through his 457 and counting AppleScripts you might even find a
script that checks for lost links.

HTH

Cheers

Neil