Marcus
Just my two bob's worth.
I've used a couple of email archivers programs in the past and like yourself,
found it confusing  to display the contents.
I recently purchased Mail Archiver X and cannot say enough good things about
this program.  When one opens the archived file,
it is displayed as almost identical to the original mailbox, showing the
contents of your 'In Box', mail boxes etc.  Also one can schedule
a time when to archive. I understand it also utilises Filemaker, if required.
I am ashamed to say I have some 35gb of mail archived, so
the first run took a while.

I have contacted the developers (who appear to reside in Germany) on a couple
of occasions and they have always replied to
my queries in a prompt concise way.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Jewels