By an unfortunate error, I alone am to blame!, the signatures file on my
MacBook Air Mail is empty.
It mirrored the file in my iMac, both running latest el Capitan.
Restoring the Signatures file (in  ~sev/library/mail/V3/maildata  from
TimeMachine  works fine but still no signatures.
I know I brought the signatures across from the iMac when first setting up the
Air but have no recollection how I did it!
Advice welcomed - it’s too hot for these traumas, my local Albany garden
temperature topped an unusual 30C today - what is it all coming to!
Severin Crisp