Hi Barry,

> On 24 Mar 2016, at 2:03 PM, Barry Sexstone <bjsexst...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronni
>
> I think there should have been enough time for spotlight but how does one
> tell?

It can take over an hour or more, depending on what is on the drive & its speed
-- SSD's should take considerably less time to be indexed than mechanical
drives, particularly large ones with a lot of document files on them.
I reindexed the mechanical startup drive on a client's iMac some time ago to
fix a different issue & according to system.log it took nearly two hours to
complete.

Activity Monitor  - CPU -  mdworker will sometimes cause your Mac to be slow
and have high CPU usage, this is totally normal.
mdworker is basically the core technology behind Mac OS X’s awesome search
engine Spotlight, it spiders meta data from your Mac and its files and creates
a readable index so that you can find things practically instantaneously via
Spotlight (command-spacebar).

> I will try your suggestions regarding the finder when I get back to the iMac,
> but regardless shouldn’t applications start either from the dock or
> launchpad even if they are not appearing  in the finder,

Not if Spotlight was still indexing the HD

>  that is if they still exist!

Post back if Applications are still not showing in Applications and I’ll give
you further instructions to reset the "Launch Services database”