Hi Marcus,

You were lucky in that somebody was very lax when setting up the router in
the first place  ;o)

It is generally considered very bad practice to leave the router set up with
the ³default² user name and password (in this case ³admin²) - as it lets
anyone access your router and, as you found, see the setup ­ and even change
it!

Of course, if someone HAD set it up securely, with a new ID and PW, you
would have needed to know them to see the wifi setup!

Otherwise you would have been left with a ³reset to factory² and then set
everything up from scratch again.

Until biometric security (or some superseding technology) becomes standard,
that is the ongoing catch 22 for us all ­ we need good passwords for
security and we are in strife if we forget them!

Password managers can help ­ provided you don¹t forget the master
password!!!

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

on 3/9/16 20:23, Marcus F Harris at cryptodo...@me.com wrote:

> [...]
>
> cryptodo...@me.com
> Marcus F Harris
> cryptodo...@me.com
> iMac 27D Late 2009
> OS10.9.5
> 3 GHz Intel Duo Core
> 8Gb Ram
>
> MACBOOK PRO [2009]
> PROCESSOR 2.53 GHZ INTEL 2 DUO
> L2 CACHE 4GB MEM 1067 MHZ DDRS
> GRAPHICS CARD GEFORCE9400M 256 MB
> FUJITSU 250GB HD JOURNALED HFS+
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Marcus F Harris <cryptodo...@me.com>
>> Subject: Re: Resetting wifi password on iPd Mini
>> Date: 3 September 2016 at 12:12:26 PM AWST
>> My friend has an iMac and an iPad mini, so I suppose she has an Apple
>> Wireless Network.
>> However her router/wifi is another make so I will check that out later today.
>> I¹ll try to recover her password from the keychain first of all.
>> If that doesn¹t work I guess I¹ll have to work out how to get into her
>> router/wifi.
>> I¹ll let you know.
>> Thanks very much
>>
>> Marcus
>> Marcus Harris
>> P.O. Box 7135
>> Marcus Harris
>> Shenton Park
>> Western Australia 6008
>> Australia
>> Cryptodome Pty Ltd
>> cryptodo...@me.com
>> Mob: +61 (0) 417965618
>>

>>> On 2 Sep 2016, at 5:00 PM, Ronni Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marcus,
>>>
>>> If it¹s a Apple Wireless Network:
>>> "When you enter a WEP, WPA2, or other encryption key or passphrase in Mac OS
>>> X, it¹s stored in the Keychain.
>>> You can run Keychain Access (found inside /Applications/Utilities/) to
>>> delete entries you no longer wish to store or to retrieve passwords that you
>>> have forgotten.
>>> Keychain passwords are secured with your Mac OS X user password."
>>>
>>> If you need to change the Network¹s Password:
>>> Change your Wireless Network¹s name and password
>>> 1. Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications
>>> folder.
>>> 2. In the graphical overview
>>> <https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=link&amp;apdid=aprt3bb53acf&amp;vie
>>> wlocale=en_US&amp;bookId=Airport%20Utility%20HelpPP409> , select the base
>>> station you want to configure, then click Edit. You may need to enter a
>>> password for the base station.
>>> 3. Click Wireless.
>>> 4. Do any of the following:
>>>    5. If you want the wireless password to be remembered in your OS X
>>> keychain
>>> <https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=link&amp;apdid=aprt8caccd20&amp;vie
>>> wlocale=en_US&amp;bookId=Airport%20Utility%20HelpPP409> , select ³Remember
>>> this password in my keychain.²
>>>    6. To save your changes, click Update.
>>>
>>> If it¹s another Wireless Network you will need to supply details for anyone

>>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
>>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM