Hi Graham,

I thought you did NOT want to use 'iCloud Drive' - that you were asking help to
get your Documents & Desktop files/folders back to the original setup - to
having all your documents & desktop files saved in your Home Finder folders on
your Mac - NOT stored in 'iCloud Drive' in the cloud!

But I now read from your reply below that you have been, and are using 'iCloud
Drive'?
Using 'iCloud Drive' & Documents and Desktop syncing, your Documents and
Desktop folders were moved to 'iCloud Drive’!
They are stored/kept in 'iCloud Drive'.

Read this to understand how iCloud - 'iCloud Drive' works:
iCloud Drive - Documents & Desktop syncing in macOS Sierra 10.12
<http://www.apple.com/icloud/icloud-drive/
<http://www.apple.com/icloud/icloud-drive/>>

I asked three question below which you did not answer, so we don’t even know if
all your documents have been uploaded to iCloud - 'iCloud Drive’.

I don’t think I can really help you anymore as I don’t understand what you have
done or are actually wanting to achieve?

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS Sierra 10.12