Michael my recollection from the last month, was that prior to me making a
decision to use iCloud to sync my Photos, that I used iTunes, which I
understand is the default, or at least was the only option for many years.

This worked fine, but for the reasons I have already stated, I chose to use
iCloud for Photos, and in fact, for the full suite of its capacity - Keychain,
Find my iPhone, Contacts, Calendar etc.    Now the ‘stuck’ issue has been
resolved, it works fine for me, and as I said, my recollection is that using
anything to sync is optional - iTunes still works across the home network and
for years did this without fuss and no use of external data.   Yes, I do live
and function within constant access to 4G coverage and cable broadband. I also
travel remotely and prepare myself for the inevitable loss of connectivity by
ensuring I have local copies of data I may need.  I understand not everyone is
as privileged as I am. Sadly, I cannot resolve this, but I do believe Apple
accommodates by giving syncing options that are quite reasonable.

I’m not sure Apple is forcing anyone to do anything - choosing iTunes, or
iCloud, or nothing to sync photos or other choices is the user choice.  If you
have found iCloud syncing is turned on by default, I would be surprised as I
found I needed to sign into iCloud for all this to work, and during that sign
in process, there are options I had to tick, or untick to select my options.

I’ve never found anything I have loaded to my Apple servers being used for
commercial gain “that I know about”.  I find it amusing that many people, not
saying you’re in this group Michael, use a free platform such as Facebook for
an enormous amount of personal data. It’s all free, zilch, no cost, same as
Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat etc etc and then there is an outcry when these
companies need to make money to continue to provide this free platform. They
get money from advertising that tracks our usage and viewing habits and targets
advertising to ’suit’ us.  I’m sure Google Maps, or TomTom sell data  to
transport planners that they collect as we use route directions on connected
GPS devices. Is this not the same thing as using our information for commercial
gain?

My recollection of the Census fiasco was that no data was lost nor corrupted.
There were connection issues that we all experienced, but there was no data
loss nor hacking.

I am sorry you are frustrated Michael, but this is drifting well away from my
original query about the technical aspects of me using iCloud. As I see it, you
DO have choices and iCloud is not set by default. There are many things to get
frustrated about in the world, there appears to be no reason to make this one
more of them.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Tim