Pete,

many years ago (12 to be exact) I followed these instructions to make a large
poster. It worked a treat and My friends still have the poster on their wall.
If I was doing it now I would substitute Photos for iPhoto.

cheers,

robin

THE INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1. Make a new iPhoto Album. Fill it with the 98 photos you want in your
poster. Try to pick photos with lots of different colors. If you pick all
indoor florescent light photos your poster is going to look like crap.

Step 2. Crop all the photos landscape with the crop tool constrained to "4 x 3
(DVD)". While you are in edit mode make sure to use the new "Adjust" dashboard
built into iPhoto 5 to give your photos great color and contrast.

Step 3. Go the the "File" menu and select "Page Setup...". Click the "Settings"
popup and select "Custom Paper Size". Click the "New" button and then name this
paper size "Life Poster". Set the paper height as 30", the width as 20" and
change the top and bottom margins to 0 leaving the left and right at 0.25 then
click "OK".

Step 4. Go to the "File" menu and select "Print.." Click the "Style" popup and
select "Contact Sheet". Set the "Across" slider at 7 and make sure to check the
"Save paper" box. Now, instated of clicking print, click "Save As PDF...".
Saving will take a few minutes since it is saving out 98 full sized photos.

Step 5. Open the PDF file you just saved in Photoshop. When it is opening it
will ask you what size you would like to open the PDF at. Set the DPI to 200
and then click "OK". Go to the File menu and click "Save As...", click on the
"Format" menu and select TIFF then click "Save".

Step 6. Find the TIFF file you just saved and import it into iPhoto by dragging
it onto the window.

Step 7. Select the poster file you just imported and the click "Order Prints"
from the action bar at the bottom of the window. Add one 20x30 print to you
order and then click "Buy Now”.