Pat, Ronni, While I don’t mean to trivialise the issue of malware and the
current, advanced state of infection abilities I think you might have gone down
the wrong rabbit hole here with the malware.

What more likely happened was James’ school is running a proxy server which
issues it’s own certificates to browsers and as he had a new installation it
may not have had this installed.
If this is the case then there is another issue with the proxy server settings
on his laptop.
How to resolve it I don’t know but I would investigate it.

cheers,

robin