Thanks Severin, I now understand.
I’m not sure, but if no-one else has any suggestion, it might be worth trying
this:
You do have a current BACKUP?...

On the MacBook Air
1. Go to System Preferences > iCloud.
2. Click 'Sign Out'.  You’ll have to respond to a long series of prompts asking
whether various data should be kept on your Mac or deleted.  Answer however you
like; you will  be restoring all that data in just a moment, anyway.
3. Restart your Mac. (Don’t skip this step!)
4. Return to System Preferences > iCloud and 'sign back in'
5. Reenable all the iCloud features you want to use.

More often than not (but no guarantees), this process will solve random iCloud
problems.