Dear Ronni,

Thank you for your reply. I do not remember deleting the folder I had which was
called “Desktop Folders”, but all sorts of wierd and troubling things happened
when I first tried to installl the security update and tried to update the
operating system as well, a few weeks ago. Suffice to say I had to wipe the
hard drive clean and start from scratch a couple of times. Fortunately I had
made a backup. That debacle was followed shortly after by the update which, as
I recall it, reorganized the file structure. I had a few days trying to cope
with what I started calling the black screen of death which emerged about 80%
of the way through the process of restarting. I worked through the alternatives
such as safe boot, but ended up having to do a SMC reset.

I’ve been away a for a couple of weeks. Now that I’m home I’ll pluck up the
courage to instal the Security update for the 4th time.

Cheers,

Michael.