Thanks Marcus, Peder and Neil,

Neil I have tried to follow Crazytechtricks website suggestions and others.
It wouldn’t work for me because the 4 digit number code Skype sent (?) never
arrived on my phone.
However, after much frustration suddenly I could enter my old user name and
password.
It’s all working now - without getting a MS account.

A friend tried to install the new Skype last night. He ended up getting the MS
account, but his
new user name from now on is his phone number. His contacts are not listed.
Nobody will be able to find him. He is wondering if he can still change the
user name to his old one.

Yes Marcus, I am using WhatsApp all the time. I like it and it does everything
for my requirements - but it won’t
work on the desktop computer.

Thanks again
Walter