Hello Michael,

If the keys work on the external, your keyboard sounds like some of the keys
are damaged or worn out :(
Rather than suggest anything else to try, probably taking your MBP to Apple or
a Apple Authorized Service Provider (MacWorx Joondalup).
https://www.macworx.com.au/service

Unfortunately your MacBook Pro (same model as my 17-Inch MBP) is too old and is
not equipped with butterfly mechanism keyboard to qualify for free repairs of
MacBook and MacBookPro models equipped with low-profile, butterfly mechanism
keyboards.
To replace the keyboard on your MBP would be very expensive even if anyone
stocks that model keyboard.

https://www.apple.com/au/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB