Hi Pat,

I know this has been covered before but probably bears repeating:

When Peter says check the sending address - you need to actually examine the
headers in the message source - it is very easy to just "SPOOF" the "From"
address to match any address. This is a common spamming technique to make
people think that SPAM is genuine.

Often on mailing lists I see warnings to people that their email account has
been hacked just because SPAM has been sent to the list with a real member's
"From" address. In most cases it does not mean their email account has been
hacked, it just means that the Spammer spoofed a member's from address to be
able to post to a member-only list.

Examining the message source code is also an easy way to see where links in the
email actually end up - often the link that looks to be an Apple.com link
actually goes to an obviously false domain - but sometimes more sophisticated
operators even register domain name that look authentic but do not belong to
the actual company being imitated.

I know Peter is well aware of this, as are most WAMUG members - it has often
been discussed before - but I still find people being caught out by this - so
possible worth repeating.

Cheers

Neil
--