Hi Peter,

On Your wife’s MBP try:
Edit her Locations in Network Preferences.
In Edit Locations, from the drop-down  click the “+” to create a new Location,
name it “Automatic” (any name will do)...
The new location will setup new a new default WiFi (and Ethernet and FireWire)
and hopefully will connect to the Internet immediately.

Kind Regards,
Ronni

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB