Hi Brian,

Before starting anything, I assume that you have at least one full up-to date
backup of your existing system!

I think you need to be a bit clearer on what you are trying to do and why.

Some thoughts:

If you just want to have a temporary external USB boot drive then you do not
need a large USB drive. When I decided to upgrade 3 computers to El Capitan I
created a bootable USB flash drive with just the El Capitan installer on it.
The actual USB drive is only 32GB capacity and only 6.2GB of that is used for
the El Capitan Install app.
This drive allowed me to boot-up the computer and erase/reformat the internal
hard drive and do a clean install of El Capitan. Obviously this approach
requires that I have already got my original system and user data backed up
elsewhere. Then you need to decide what apps and data you want/need to migrate
over.
When you say "I would like to wipe MacBook Air’s drive and re-establish El
Capitan on it. (Why I need to do this is a longer story)" - the "WHY" will
probably have a bearing on "HOW" you should go about it! For example:
If your existing setup is all working fine and you just want/need to reformat
the internal drive (say change the partition scheme) then you would probably
just clone the existing system drive/partition to an external drive, reformat
the internal drive and then clone back from the external drive to your new
internal target.
On the other hand, if your reason(s) to wipe the drive and re-install the OS is
down to some perceived problems with the existing set-up then just moving the
existing set-up to the external drive and then back again will most likely
retain the problem!
The nature of any existing problem would, most likely, tend to drive the best
approach to reinstalling the system and user data - is the problem likely down
to system corruption or user data/preference corruption?

I'm not sure how helpful all that is but my experience has definitely been that
more time spent analysing and planning BEFORE you dive in will often save
problems down the track and save time in the long run.

HTH

Cheers

Neil

--