Is it possible to create a slideshow of photos from a selected album to display
on Apple TV - without using iCloud?

Before the Aerial screensaver series it was a simple matter to send a selection
of photos to Apple TV.  Now bored with Aerial and I want to use my own photos.
However it appears, with recent “improvements”,  that photos can only be
streamed from iCloud.

What happens to iCloud streaming when internet connection is down?

I have an Apple TV 4 (now called Apple TV HD?) with 32GB memory. Can this be
used to store photos?
Using SSD Mac Mini (2014) as the media server.

Cheers
Alan