Hi Rosemary,

Regarding the speed variability – that is not necessarily down to any problem
with your setup. One thing about the current zombie apocalypse has been a huge
increase in NBN traffic. They have been working on increasing capacity to
address this but I have certainly noticed periods where the speed dropped
drastically.

I also signed up for a NBN 50 package (with Internode) where they say to expect
an average evening download speed of around 43. It is FTTN here, the actual
achievable speeds depend on the existing copper network being used for the
final connection so, after they actually connect you, they run a network check
and advise you what speeds your connection is capable of – they advised me:

We have checked your NBN connection, and the maximum speed your address can
receive is 50.09Mbps download and 15.09Mbps upload.

So, for me, the possible download speed was as per the paid package but the
possible upload speed was less than the paid package speed (20 Mbps upload) and
I was offered the option of downgrading to a cheaper, slower speed plan.
However, since download speed (for streaming iVeiw & SBS on demand) was
important to me, I was happy to stick with the NBN 50 plan. The fact that you
sometimes see speeds of 47Mbps shows that your actual connection is capable of
these speeds – however it does not stop the speed from dropping if there are
NBN problems/congestion.

I have certainly noticed this myself recently – in a series of 17 speed tests,
from 4 April to today, the measured download speeds have varied form as low as
3.77 to as high as 41.74. When I first checked on 4 April (after noticing
things seemed slower) the download speeds were around 24 to 25 – then things
got quite erratic and from 13 April to 11 May only one result was over 20 in
fact on 11 May I had 3 consecutive tests of 9.44, 22.88 & 3.77!

However, since 28 May things seem to have improved to around 30 to 42. Note
that my Internet has been quite useable in general and my testing has been
irregular – mainly for my own curiosity.

So, I think you need to try and define just what the problem is that you are
experiencing – some thoughts here:

Assuming that your (presumably fairly new) NBN modem is operating OK, then
variability of internet connection speed if the computer is connected directly
to the modem – ie no wifi network switched on - is probably due to NBN factors
outside your control.
A slow NBN connection speeds can give you problems with video not playing or
probably getting kicked off a zoom meeting – these things tend to rely on a
“buffer” of stored data to smooth out momentary glitches in transmission but if
the problem persists this “buffer” will run out – I’m sure we have all seen
this behaviour when watching You/tube videos.
If your actual wifi connection between the computer and the modem is being
dropped - either due to interference or other network problems (faulty
equipment or setup) - then that is a wireless network problem that you need to
troubleshoot.

Hopefully the above will help you determine whether your problem is down to
your wireless network or erratic internet connection speeds – however, I
suspect we have reached the limit of what can be achieved by email discussion.
I your problem continues I think you may need to have someone with more
experience in this area investigate your actual setup, in person.

HTH

Cheers

Neil