I can report a very positive recent experience with Apple.

My ancient (2015 vintage) iPad Pro suddenly decided not to turn on, even when
plugged into a power source. After much experimentation I was able to get it
started only if it was connected to my iMac with iTunes running. At least this
allowed me to run a backup, but I also entered a chat session with Apple
Support.

This proved invaluable. While the iPad was running, they were able to perform
diagnostics on the device online, which confirmed that the battery needed to be
replaced. They then submitted a written report with a Case Number to my Apple
ID.

I then booked a Genius Bar session with the Apple Store in Perth. They were
able to retrieve the report and there were no further questions asked. They
immediately set about organising a replacement. Not a replacement battery - a
replacement iPad (apparently they don’t replace just batteries - it’s too
hard)! The Genius Bar appointment was on the Friday before Australia Day. The
replacement iPad came into the store the following Wednesday, and I picked it
up on Friday last week.

The new iPad is a brand new replacement 2015. I’ve now successfully restored
from my backup, and it was all done for $165, Apple's standard cost of a
replacement iPad battery. The whole operation was a smooth as silk.

My real lesson from all of this was the value Apple provides by taking
advantage of their online support.

> On 31 Jan 2021, at 6:59 pm, Stephen Chape <chap...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Oh sorry Pete.
> The iMac has performed 10 times faster since the upgrade.
>
>> On 31 Jan 2021, at 4:59 pm, Peter Crisp <petercr...@westnet.com.au
>> <mailto:petercr...@westnet.com.au>> wrote:
>>
>> HI Stephen, yes that is very poor that firstly the iMac performed so poorly
>> and THEN Apple had the cheek to suggest you need to upgrade your 2019 iMAC!!
>>
>> Not good enough. I am glad you got satisfaction eventually. I suppose we
>> await to hear if the unit does in fact perform the way it should after you
>> get it back.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Pete

Kind regards,

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948