Mmmm ….. Facebook sounds reasonable Rod.
But I guess only if it makes life easier for those wonderful people running our
group.

The two most invasive things I have stayed away from are Facebook and Google.
And so do many of my family and some friends.

But lately I registered once again with Facebook in order to use Marketplace.
I am very surprised and pleased by the changes they have made.

This time I have NOT been inundated with “please be my friend” and a myriad of
other unwanted messages.
So far I am happy to remain with Facebook.

> On 17 May 2022, at 9:11 am, Rod Blitvich <rb...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> Thanks Daniel and Committe.
> Any thoughts re replacing the list with a FaceBook Group?
>
> <image.gif>
>

> Rod Blitvich  - Amy & Sam’s Dad
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>   rb...@iinet.net.au <x-msg://329/rb...@iinet.net.au>
>

>> On 16 May 2022, at 6:45 pm, Daniel Kerr <wa...@macwizardry.com.au
>> <mailto:wa...@macwizardry.com.au>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> We’ve recently been advised that unfortunately our current host is no longer
>> able to support where the WAMUG list has been sitting in Perth for many
>> years. As time’s gone by, it’s now the only list sitting on a very old
>> server and is due to be “decommissioned”.
>> Because of this, we are having to look to move it. The new space it will
>> sitting in is still hosted in Australia.
>>
>> The good news is that there is still somewhere we can move it to that uses
>> the same type of software it’s run on. Which in theory should mean there is
>> no change to how the list will work. It will be “just like normal” for day
>> to day things.
>> The bad news is, it will cost us a little extra each year to run it.
>> However, the membership cost will easily cover this. So doesn’t mean an
>> increase in costs to all. So I guess that’s “good bad” news. :)
>>
>> We discussed this within the committee and all are happy to look at the move.
>> In theory there shouldn’t be any disruption to the list in the transition
>> period and I’ll let people know before and after it’s  been completed.
>> Hopefully, it should also mean that there are more current updates installed
>> to the backend of what runs the list - so that’s good news as well.
>>
>> There’s a little bit of work to get it all organised. But hopefully as
>> mentioned, it shouldn’t affect the running of the list.
>> Though when it’s down, if you do post you may not see your message arrive.
>> But I’ll certainly let everyone know by a mailing post before it gets
>> transferred and after it’s completed.
>>
>> Hopefully this will ensure the list can continue running for many more years
>> to come!
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your understanding with this.
>> If anyone has any queries or concerns, please feel free to post them to the
>> list and I’ll do my best to answer them.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Kind regards
>> Daniel
>> On behalf of WAMUG Committee.

>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml
>> Settings & Unsubscribe -
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug

Regards
Stephen Chape

Mac by choice
Windows because my employer knew no better