Hi Tony,

Great that you have found a quick way for your friend to view the video(s) –
converting to other formats always takes time and effort!

With regard to viewing them your end – I can confirm that VLC will do this – I
remembered that I have a couple of ripped DVDs lurking on my computer, so I
gave it a go.

First I located the ripped DVDs
One, a ripped commercial DVD, was a folder which contained two sub-folders:
AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS
One, a TV program that a friend had put onto DVD which I then ripped, was a
folder which just contained one sub-folder:  VIDEO_TS – so this sounds like
what is on your thumbdrive.

Watching them was VERY simple:

Open VLC
>From the top menu, go to File/Open File - the navigation window opens
Navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder on your thumbdrive (or on your computer is you
have copied it over)
Select the VIDEO_TS folder (don’t go down into the individual files) and click
“open”
The viewing window opens.
For the commercial DVD this showed the DVD top menu (as on a DVD player) where
you could select from various chapters to view – all played as expected.
For the other DVD, which was a TV program that a friend had put onto DVD, a
generic menu showed with several blank buttons/title bars and one labelled
title bar (this would be down to whatever my friend had used to create the
original DVD before I ripped it) – select this title and hit play and the clip
played as expected.

As I say, VLC is free and I found it quick & easy to download/install – so I
would expect this could allow you to view the video very quickly.

HTH

Cheers

Neil

From: <wamug.org.au-wamug-boun...@lists.wamug.org.au> on behalf of "Anthony
(Tony) Francis" <antne...@mac.com>
Date: Thursday, 14 July 2022 at 08:34
To: WAMUG <wamug@wamug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [WAMUG] Hi all.

Good Morning Stephen

Thank you for your kind offer and from the group the suggestions and advice. As
I have quite a few Video’s on discs to transfer I think I’ll be fine from here,
thank you, I’ll let you know which way I choose to go.

I am going to purchase a Disc Reader from Daniel so that I can upload the Discs
straight to the Computer, another problem solved.

The person to whom I was sending the Video's to asked me to upload the Video’s
to MEGAsync which I did and he was able to open the Video’s without a problem,
it didn’t help me on my end to open the Video’s on my Computer, so again, thank
you.

Take career, stay safe

Kind Regards

Tony

Boddington

On 14 Jul 2022, at 04:03, Stephen Chape <chap...@bigpond.com> wrote:

I am pleased that you have some options to try Tony.

But if they don’t work out, I could try on my Mac if you are in Perth any time.

I have an external optical drive and I have used Roxio Toast to convert these
files to MOV or MP4 files.

This was for home videos that I have on DVD’s, so sounds like the same scenario.

Or I noticed Roxio recently had Toast Titanium at half price.

On 13 Jul 2022, at 8:36 pm, Anthony (Tony) Francis <antne...@mac.com> wrote:

Hi Stephen

The Video disc works fine on the DVD I needed to transfer the Video on to a
Memory stick to allow me to forward it, it was when the Video wouldn’t work on
my main computer that I asked the group for a resolution. I now have a couple
of avenues to try, thank you to the members that have responded. The Video is
from a home video Camera which I had transferred to a disc.

Kind Regards

Tony

Boddington

On 13 Jul 2022, at 3:37 pm, Stephen Chape <chap...@bigpond.com> wrote:

Hi again Tony.

Those files look like the ones you find on a commercial DVD.

Try playing it in a DVD player.

On 13 Jul 2022, at 1:47 pm, Neil Houghton <n...@possumology.com> wrote:

Another program that was very popular for ripping and transcoding (converting)
DVDs was Handbrake:  https://handbrake.fr/

So that could be another option.

Hi Tony,

If you are wanting to forward the video to someone else, it may be best to
convert it to something like MP4 first.

I believe that VLC should also be able to do that, though it is not something I
have tried.

You can find pretty comprehensive documentation on VLC here
https://docs.videolan.me/vlc-user/3.0/en/index.html

So have a read through that.

Cheers

Neil