Hello Peter

On 31/07/2024, at 11:24 AM, Peter Curtis via WAMUG wrote:

> Hi Everyone
> I’m having problems with my emails disappearing after I put them into
> different folders. I receive the email, read it and keep it in a folder named
> by me. Sometimes when I go back to it the next day it is not there (nor any
> other emails previously kept. I’ve rebuilt the email folder to no avail. What
> am I doing wrong? or have I got a setting wrong?
> This has just started happening recently, I have sometimes had emails
> disappear after quite a time but it is now happening the next day sometimes.
> Hoping someone can help

I have never seen this behaviour and have no idea what is happening, but you
could try searching for one of the disappeared emails using the mail search
function. Make sure that you have set it to search "all mailboxes" and "entire
message" and enter a word which you know was in the subject or in the sender
address.

If nothing is found then you know that the message has really been deleted, but
if it is found then it will tell you where it is - maybe somewhere where you
did not expect.

I cannot give you exact instructions on how to use search (my machine is very
old) but I assume that it is still in modern versions of mail and has the same
features.

Regards

Geoff
Archives - <https://www.mail-archive.com/wamug@wamug.org.au/>