*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IBRAHIM ISA'S - SELECTED NEWS AND VIEWS, 26 JUNE 2008
Exhibits take on human rights struggle
'To make Indonesia a better place'.
New 'Ambonese' identity may help keep peace *
------------------------------
*Exhibits take on human rights struggle - The Jakarta Post*

 Features - June 15, 2008
Margaret Agusta, Contributor, Jakarta
If Indonesia's artists had their way, history would never repeat
itself, at least not the chaotic chapters written across this
archipelago in suffering and blood in the decades between 1950 and
now.
Yet, somehow, the headlines staring up at us over our breakfast
coffee seem all too familiar, as if time has turned back on itself
and is replaying the same, sad old stories of poverty, malnutrition,
mismanagement of resources, shortages, corruption and blatant denial
of human rights.
The long queues for rice of the early 1960s have given way in 2008 to
long lines of harried housewives anxiously waiting for the kerosene
they need to cook the day's meals.
The long-forgotten souls forcefully displaced for the construction of
the Kedung Ombo dam toward and electrical installations the end of
the 1980s are now being joined by the hundreds of Sidoarjo families
driven from their homes by the flood of mud triggered by faulty oil
and gas drilling procedures.
And, most recently, the news of the deaths of 21 small children in
Indonesia's eastern regions, while Indonesia's infant and maternal
mortality rate remain higher than those of its Southeast Asian
neighbors, echoes the situation faced by Indonesia's poor in the
years immediately following independence and through to the late
1970s.
While the current House of Representatives remains full of bickering
politicians more concerned about jockeying for party advancement and
cushy commission seats than about what is happening along the narrow
alleys of the country's urban centers or the muddy paths of its most
distant islands, and radical groups like FPI and JI continue to find
enough leeway to suppress and terrorize those who do not follow their
prescription for running the country.
Not too much unlike the political situation existing from the 1950s
through to the early 1960s, and leading up to the bloody disaster of
the September 1965 coup. Only the faces and names have changed; the
behavior reflects things long hidden from view; secrets long kept;
stories long untold.
In this context, the Semsar Siahaan exhibition at Cemara 6 Gallery,
which ends today, and the exhibition of a group of rarely heard from
artists scheduled to open at the National Gallery on Thursday, June
19, seem to take on a greater significance than any other art
displays held in recent months.
The holding and the content of both exhibitions speak clearly of not
only of Indonesia's art history, but of its political polarization,
social turmoil and struggle to find a solid footing in an ever-
shifting global landscape.
The "Liberation Art" of Semsar Siahaan, who worked intensely as both
artist and human rights activists for two-and-a half decades before
his death in 2005, has it roots in the social realism of artists like
Djoko Pekik and Amrus Natalsya, whose works will be shown along with
those of a number of artists who focus on social and political themes
that are particularly relevant in the face of current events in the
country.
Perhaps the most interesting element of the coming Sanggar Bambu 2
exhibition, outside of the messages about the rights of human beings
to enough to eat, to shelter, to access to education and a way to
earn a living, as well as to freedom of speech, is the fact that the
artists showing have lived through huge chunks of Indonesian art
history, with some even being both players and pawns in the chess
game of Indonesian politics and social upheaval.
Amrus Natalsya, who primarily sculpts and carves reliefs from wood,
and Djoko Pekik, who paints, in particular, have ample reason to
relish the current atmosphere achieved through the long struggle for
freedom of expression and human rights carried on by fellow artists
for three decades and culminating in the Reformation Movement, which,
since 1998, has set into place the democratic system and institutions
that allow them the opportunity to show their works freely without
censure or constraints.
Djoko Pekik and Amrus Natalsya are among the many artists of the
1960s, who, because of their political affiliations (some worked
under the auspices of the Indonesian Communist Party's cultural arm
known as LEKRA) and stances on social issues, were harassed,
imprisoned, exiled or even killed.
 From the mid 1960s through to 1998, when the exit from power of
Soeharto (Indonesia's second president) neither Djoko nor Amrus could
find a gallery or art space willing to display their works. Not that
nobody cared, they simple did not dare show any sign of "fraternizing
with the enemy" in the wake of the mass killings of leftists and
others of "suspects" political leanings of late 1965 and through
1966, and the continuing detention and disappearances of the
following three decades.
Now, 10 years since the Reform Movement began the difficult task of
trying to set right so many wrongs, Amrus Natalsya, Djoko Pekik and
other artists, whose struggle to express themselves creatively has
been exceedingly long and difficult, will be showing their works
publicly in an exhibition sanctioned and facilitated by a state
institution.
So, just as one might be getting the feeling that history has gotten
stuck in another cyclical mode, perhaps the very fact that two such
powerful and important exhibitions are being held one after the other
in both a private and a public venue, might serve to remind us of how
much really has changed, and how vital it is for reformation to
continue.
---

*'To make Indonesia a better place'. *
Putera Satria Sambijantoro, The Jakarta Post.
Regarded as one of the best economics departments in Indonesia, I
have discovered that studying economics at FEUI is not only about the
knowledge, but also the inspiration and motivation from people who
have dedicated their lives to Indonesia.
During my first year at FEUI, I have attended the classes of Sri
Mulyani Indrawati, Miranda Gultom and Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Tjakti, and
I see a resemblance between all three, in that they all apply their
knowledge to make Indonesia a better place.
The most remarkable moment for me was when Finance Minister Sri
Mulyani Indrawati, taking time out of her busy schedule, lectured us
on macroeconomics.
Yes, it has been three months since she came into the classroom and
gave a memorable lecture to about 40 first-year students, but what
she said still reverberates in my mind. During the class, her
comprehension and experience in economics nailed me and my friends to
our seats. Beyond that, we were dazzled not only by her intelligence,
but also her ability to inspire us with her motivating words.
In a lecture that ran for more than three hours, she presented more
than just economics knowledge. She taught us about nationalism; the
gratification of being a servant of Indonesia and doing the utmost to
surmount its problems. For her, helping Indonesia to overcome its
numerous predicaments is a challenging yet welcome task. She
portrayed it by telling us about her various experiences as finance
minister, which impressed us enormously.
Asked why she chose the path to be a minister, she said it was just
one tangible form of her dedication and devotion to Indonesia. Being
a mother of three and a minister at the same time is not easy, but
she deems it a great honor. It is, she said, a call that has to be
answered to fulfill her responsibility to the country.
"When you are young, you study. Then collect wealth, as much as
possible, until the age of 40. Afterward, dedicate yourself for
several years to the country in which you were born. "After you have
dedicated yourself to Indonesia, you will be relieved that you have
already done something for your motherland and you can live your
later life in serenity," she said.
The most striking moment was when she addressed us young students as
the ones who are responsible for the future of the country.
Given the complexity of the various problems in Indonesia, her words
made me realize that in the future it will be our duty, as students
of economics, to apply our knowledge to help Indonesia grow in
prosperity.
The economics that I study at FEUI is not the science of greed; it is
knowledge that can be applied to solve important social problems that
Indonesia is dealing with at the moment.
Perhaps it is true that most of the younger generations of
Indonesians are ashamed of their country, but count me off that list.
This is because in my first year at FEUI, I was taught that
nationalism is defined simply as: what makes you allowed to criticize
your country when you have never done anything for it?
I share this feeling with other young Indonesians, so that we will
have the willpower to roll up our sleeves and help Indonesia overcome
its problems.
Although Indonesia is gifted with wonderful land, diverse cultures
and plentiful natural resources, the country is currently in a
situation it is not supposed to be in.
It is time for Indonesia to stand at the level where it belongs, and
like Sri Mulyani Indrawati said, we hold the responsibility to make
this a reality. ( Abridged)
The writer is a student of University of Indonesia's School of
Management
*New 'Ambonese' identity may help keep peace *
Ati Nurbaiti, The Jakarta Post, Ambon

Strains of spirited hymns and the pop songs of Ambonese national
legend Broery Pesolima fill the midnight air, while listeners across
the road tap their feet and fingers.
But no one is clapping -- the brass band is accompanying a Christian
service of mourners on this rainy night. Almost 10 years after
communal bloodshed erupted here, this scene, in what was a Muslim
dominated area, is one of many hopeful signs the bad times can be
left behind. "This wasn't possible before here," says a resident.
After enjoying the music my host takes me to a packed diner nearby
famed for coto Makassar, a hot meaty soup, only one of a wide range
of culinary choices in the Spice Islands.
There was a time when locally born Christians wanted the Makassar
people of South Sulawesi kicked out with all the other immigrants,
while Muslims wanted the Christians eliminated -- "even if we were
formerly buddies often sharing one plate," said one former "jihadi".
Ships brimming with terrified people leaving their homes plied the
routes from Ambon back and forth, even when the migrants knew no one
in their ancestral homes, having been born and bred in Maluku.
If this had continued, it might have been the end of the delicious
coto and many other dishes that town dwellers here grew up with.
Shared past traumas have led people to drop the labels of "Christian"
and "Muslim", or the overlapping references to natives or immigrants,
leading to what many hope may be a stronger new collective identity.
Now "people will instantly look around if anyone mentions 'Acang'
and 'Obet'," says a resident, Nova Senduk. She's referring to the
respective nicknames for Muslim and Christian males, Hasan and
Robert, which in the years of the clashes became hate-symbols in a
dangerously divided society.
"We no longer say we're Christian or Muslim -- we're Ambonese," she
says. Ambon remains the barometer for peace in the province, which is
why officials are wary of the upcoming direct gubernatorial election.
But they also share cautious confidence with residents, as the past
few years have seen comparatively smooth direct elections for the
Ambon mayor and several regents, and more local elections are
scheduled.
The only major problem was the North Maluku gubernatorial election in
which Jakarta's intervention was far from firm, leading to squabbles
among party supporters. The absence of a firm role by the central
government to protect citizens during the years of violence led
activists to accuse the central government of gross violations of
human rights. Locals estimate that up to 50,000 people were killed
across the province between January 1999 and 2002.
Many families fled and settled in Jakarta and other towns. Of those
who have not returned, people say one reason is their bad memories,
another is the hostility of remaining local residents.
Sociologist Toni Pariela says local officials "gloss over the
importance of sensitive issues like traditional property rights".
Lack of clear property boundaries remains a source of tension, which
is occasionally expressed in terms of religious friction.
Activists have tried to help revive the institution of kingship, the
latupatty, so traditional leaders can help resolve local problems --
and keep them local. But their effectiveness might take time to
restore. Experts say they lost authority under the New Order's
monolithic bureaucratic rule.
Some people are still contesting land disputes over trees, now gone,
that used to delineate property boundaries. Similar problems have
arisen in land claims related to villages that were burned to the
ground in clashes.
Toni shares the view that it was mainly popular support for moves
toward peace that ended the violence. Others say that bringing the
leaders of warring factions together, leading to the 2002 peace
agreement, would not have been possible without Jusuf Kalla, who is
now Vice President.
While colonial rule is blamed for the early separate zoning of Muslim
and Christian areas, the nature of its continued significance is more
debatable. These distinctions nevertheless helped fuel the conflict.
Even without public disclosure of detailed investigations into the
causes of the clashes, residents say that they belatedly realized
there was "outside provocation" .
Sporadic violence still erupted after the 2002 peace deal. When
shooting occurred during an annual celebration of the Free Maluku
Movement, peace activists were filming the event, and snipers were
later spotted in the background. Trials have only managed to bring to
book minor players in these events. The documentary only repeated
unanswered questions: who were these provocateurs, what was the
guarantee that communal violence would never occur again and how
could residents so easily forget centuries of what everyone thought
was harmony?
"I've no idea (what caused the clashes)," says Namanu A. Azis,
echoing others. "We were always close to each other" regardless of
faith, she says. "Suddenly everyone became tigers in an orgy of
terror." Her house was among thousands reduced to ashes. Any
perception of religious segregation "is all in the mind", says Toni,
who led the Christian delegation to the town of Malino in Central
Sulawesi, where the peace agreement was signed. The mind is
where "people must break down the differences" .
The people of Maluku must realize that their identity includes both
Islam and Christianity, he said. "There cannot be one without the
other," he said. Historians point to the introduction of both
religions to the islands hundreds of years ago and the traditional
inter-village ties of pela gandong. Locals and former residents
recall how religious differences were irrelevant until 1999 --
"basically everyone just loved parties and being stylish even when
they were poor", a journalist said with a laugh.
Nowadays, it's increasingly evident that what people have in common
is an urgent need for improved public services and delivered
promises.
Namanu, a Muslim, says her family has only received the initial part
of promised funds for survivors to rebuild their razed homes, a
complaint shared by many. So out of five pairs of candidates for
governor, has she made a choice? "I'm not voting, I live in Surabaya
now," she said on a flight from Ambon. Her nephews and nieces who
were in elementary school in 1999 are still scared the clashes might
recur, she said.
People say they can't keep pushing the government to bring those
responsible to trial. "If the government isn't serious people think
we'll only have new problems with more rows about the past," said
Zein Anwar, a radio and television talk show host in Ambon. With no
adequate response to pressure to reveal the masterminds behind the
clashes, people say it is now up to the central government to deal
with, while the people just wants to move on. But without knowing
what and who disrupted the beauty of the islands, fears of recurring
violence remain.
"At least leave us alone in peace" is the common attitude nowadays,
says Toni. But Maluku's elite are also joining the political clamor
for reformasi, with demands for new regions, which will bring either
improved welfare -- or further struggles for power. New leaders will
learn the nitty-gritty of delivering pledges to voters. Current Ambon
Mayor MJ Papilaya earned recognition from the Partnership for
Governance Reform in Indonesia, and is now serving his second term.
To the anger of many he doesn't care about being politically correct
and weighing the need for Muslim-Christian "balance"
and "proportionality" in the bureaucracy, another journalist
said. "He just picks the best people for the job."
The above report was written following an invitation to a workshop on
covering Maluku, held by the Forum of Maluku Women Journalists in
Ambon from June 6-8.

* * *