Refleksi:  Silahkan lihat episode I dan II, mungkin sekali Anda mendapat
gambaran tentang persoalan dengan TKI/TKW

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/101east/2008/10/20081069544870570.html

UPDATED ON:
Friday, October 10, 2008
12:46 Mecca time, 09:46 GMT

      Labour of Love

            Lourdes Cato left the Philippines to work as a maid in Malaysia
      An estimated ten million Filipinos, or around ten per cent of the
population, provide much needed labour across the world.

      Working as seafarers, nurses, doctors, or domestic helpers, their
remittances play a vital role in the Philippines, providing over $15bn to the
economy.

      For their families at home, their salaries help pay for household
expenses, schooling, and the setting up of small businesses.

      But overseas Filipino workers pay a huge price for this economic
stability - spending years away from their families. Others face abuse from
unscrupulous employers.

      Meanwhile, by sending out skilled workers across the world, the
Philippines suffers a brain drain at home, hitting the country's health care,
education systems and technical industries.

      But according to some economists, successive governments have become
dependant on the huge flow of money overseas workers send home.

      On this edition of 101 East we ask to what extent are overseas
remittances helping or hurting the Philippines?

      Watch part one of this episode.

      Watch part two of this episode.

      This episode of 101 East aired from Thursday, October 9, 2008.

      To contact us click on 'Send your feedback' at the top of the page

      Watch Al Jazeera English programmes on YouTube

      Join our debates on the Your Views page