----- Original Message -----
From: james gale
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2002 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: {W&P} Swing that ax, generate that kilowatt!

Very true. I think where the antagonism came was the indiscriminate clear cut logging of virgin trees starting in the 20s and continuing up until what the 60S. Why wouldn't you cry out against the total destruction of the black gums and redwoods that went on until the greens became militant. Now there is some reason in logging and compromises can be made and yes trees are a renewable resource in general . the old growth forests and black gums are not. They should be left alone in the few places they exist. IMHO Jim

I agree, Jim. (No i'm not sick). However you are refering only to USA. This robbing goes on all around the world. The rainforests are disppearing at an frightening speed. Cut down in the Amazons for different reasons that don't work in the long run as the soil is too thin to last.

The rainforests in those islands between Asia and Australia are cut down and leave the surface of the land unprotected. Many of the trees are transported to Japan that don't want to cut down their own forrests.

Historicly: Once the whole of the northern coast of the mediterrainian(?) was covered by forrests. They are gone a long time ago. It's only grass hills now.

The desserts are growing. The prevailing winds over the Sahara dessert blown tons and tons of sand out in the Atlantic. Once Sahara dessert was habitable. In caves in the Atlas mountains there are paintings that show a quite different landscape than that of the dessert of to day.

Are the humans going to learn the lesson of the the past, or are we continuing to act like pirats also in the future. When a place is robbed of it's valuables it's of no value anymore - for ever.

Claes
§( :8-)