Al Winslow wrote:

> Claes Persson wrote:

===

Sheez, should they come to your state and chop down EVERY tree?  Better
forest management would be to let the forest burn when it is nature
doing it (lightning).

The "weekend" camper (female no less!) who started the Sequoia one in
California was a nutjob for even playing with a lighter or matches!
What the hell was she thinking?  Must have been a public school
education, huh? - you think so?

So much of the western part of USA is owned by the gov't (public lands)
and managed quite poorly over the years.  I don't think it can be blamed
on the "leftists" (whatever that means).  We are near the Little
Missouri National Grasslands - and it is "fairly well" managed, but
always is back-and-forth - depending on whether a Jimmy Carter (goofy)
or a Ronny Reagan (senile) is inhabitating the Executive Branch.

Up here, it is the levels of the six main-stem dams, that hold the
waters of the upper parts (States) of the Missouri River that are bones
of contention.  It all depends on the winter snow packs in Montana - the
past couple years have been way below normal - bigtime!  The lower parts
(States) want the water for barge traffic (navigation) and the upper
parts (States) want it for irrigation and tourism.  They generate
electricity too!  The rivers are losing all their native fish species -
they are "locked" into the areas between the dam sites.

The Indian Tribes lost prime bottomlands (many, many beautiful trees
too) when the water began backing up.  When the barges (1830's) first
began coming up the Missouri and needed firewood to power the barges -
the trees (forests) along the river were chopped down and never
replaced... so all the animals had no "cover" (nesting) and many species
simply went extinct!

My opinion is that chopping down entire forests is sheer stupidity.
Better management would be to maybe take 5-10 percent of the forest and
leave the rest intact.  Another 10 years or so, and come an take a
different portion of the forest.  It could be done without the gov't
always building roads at taxpayer expense!

Helicopters are a cost-efficient way of selectively taking out trees -
one-by-one.  This is taking place in parts of Idaho, Montana,
Washington, British Columbia, etc.  I'm sure it is done in other parts
of the world (earth) too.

Finally, the Hemp Plant is the answer to the paper problem.  But the
rightwingers are afraid that some kids might smoke some - and go crazy
and have to be put on Ritalin.  The Hearst Corporation (newsprint) is
always putting out scare stories on marijuana (maryjane) & twisting it
wit hemp as being some sort of devils weed, and such nonsense.  Such is
the life and times in 21st century America.

Rod