Before the hardcode of 512, it was change to BACKDROP_HACK_WIDTH,
and BACKDROP_HACK_HEIGHT (which still is 512).

In code below this with
        glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
                glTexCoord2f(0, 0);
                glVertex2f(0, 0);
                glTexCoord2f(255, 0);
                glVertex2f(screenWidth, 0);
                glTexCoord2f(0, 255);
                glVertex2f(0, screenHeight);
                glTexCoord2f(255, 255);
                glVertex2f(screenWidth, screenHeight);
        glEnd();

should not the 255 be also changed?  Why is it 255 in first place?
if BACKDROP_HACK_HEIGHT = 1024, then it no look right ?

Anybody explain why this value used?  I think it is mistake?

I believe those are texture coordinates that get translated into 0.0f
-> 1.0f. Although I must admit I am a bit mystified about how exactly
this works.

 - Per