Am Montag, 9. April 2007 schrieb Per Inge Mathisen:
> On 4/9/07, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, why not remove the different debug modes at all then?
> > strict works pretty well atm so we could let it become yes and also merge
> > relaxed and no...
>
> We could/should merge "yes" and "strict"
done

> but "relaxed" adds -Wextra
Indeed. Maybe we could get the code extra clean and remove relaxed, too.

> and -O2 speed optimizations
It doesn't do that itself. This is autotool's default cflag.

> , and "no" adds -DNDEBUG and omits -g
-g comes with autotool's default cflags as well.
But "no" doesn't enforce it, yes.

> (and  should add -O3), IMHO.
IMHO it should not do that...
Optimization should be set by the distributor and not by us.
Actually we should only force those flags which are necessary and -O3 very
certainly is not. It should be well known that -O3 brings very little to no
performance improvements against -O2, but takes awefully much longer to
compile and produces bigger binaries.
And type-punning warnings are allready produced by -O2...
And I doubt that many people will use -O3 when compiling or distributing
binaries.

Again I strongly vote against forcing any unnecessary flags.

--Dennis