Freddie Witherden schreef:
> On 5 May 2008, at 13:22, Dennis Schridde wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 4. Mai 2008 23:49:57 schrieb Freddie Witherden:
>>> The problem I am having is how a widget should tell its parent where
>>> it wants to be? Should it be relative to other widgets? Should it be
>>> relative to a side (north, east, south, west)?
>>
>> My proposal is "stolen" from Qt: "layouts" and ~"hints".
>>
>> Layouts:
>> myLayout = newHBoxLayout();
>> myLayout->add( wdg1 );
>> myLayout->add( wdg2 );
>>
>> Result:
>> | wdg1 | wdg2 |
>>
>> (Similar for VBoxlayouts, etc.)
>>
>> In layouts any positional information of the widget is ignored.
>>

>> ~Hints:
>> wdg1 = newWidget();
>> wdg1->setMinimumSize( 0, 0 );
>> wdg1->setMaximumSize( 1, 1 );
>> wdg1->setDefaultSize( 0.5, 0.5 );
>
> I like it. It is also the same method which GTK uses. Should be nice
> and easy to implement as well.

Yes, I like this method the best as well.

I've encountered this in numerous widget systems (i.e. I've seen in it
in these wxWidgets, GTK, Qt, SmartWin++) and all implement in _very_
similar ways, quite oftenly even the names are similar (rarely exactly
the same though).

On another sidenote: Freddie, you have a small test application for the
widget code, right? If so could you maybe commit it to tools/ so that we
can use this as well to check the widget code with.

--
Giel