On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >  4) Do not mix unrelated cleanup and feature changes or bug fixes in
>> > the same patch.
> 4) Seems cumbersome to me, since when I try to fix a bug, some cleanup will
> almost always sneak in, and additionaly I first cleanup and understand a
> function, and then fix it (sometimes it is already fixed by the cleanup). I
> would have to do a lot of surgery...

Actually, I only added this point as an afterthought because I thought
we all agreed on it in principle.

I am not sure how I can stress enough how important this is. When I go
into the svn log to find a bug, looking through possibly related
changesets is very often a big part of the work. If a commit that
changed some feature that might have caused the bug also contains lots
of 'cleanup' interspersed, this work becomes incredibly much harder. A
less common case is when a change has to be reverted - when cleanup is
part of the same commit, it becomes very much harder to extract,
because it touches so much more code, and usually code that has later
been changed by unrelated commits. It is also much harder to give
comments on patches that contain cleanup, since they take much longer
to read, and you want to read feature changes/bug fixes much more
carefully than cleanup patches.

  - Per