Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> Popular suggested or created modifications
> to the game rules quickly become integrated into the core rules,
> draining the pool of mods available for players.

True, but if the mods would not have been there, would the same changes
have been included in the game? Mods mostly concern changes like
graphics, balancing and new game modes. Hardcore developers love too
look at the code too much to bother with that. (I probably won't be
touching the terrain textures again for example)
> The problem was that a generalized code engine that supports all kinds
> of strange rules is inherently more difficult to maintain, and very
> much more difficult to write an actual, fun game on top of.
I agree that we should be careful not to become a victim of the "Inner
platform effect" [1]. People do not want all those choices, they just
want something that's simple, fast, and intuitive. If they really want
to do complicated stuff there is always the source.
I would really like to have something akin to the Warcraft 3 map editor.
(the unreal tournament map editor was also way too much fun) Just make a
map, place units and buildings, do some modifications to the tech tree
and perhaps use a few predefined triggers to do a few predefined actions
(suggested set: the minimum required to make a tower defense).

Dennis Schridde wrote:
> Multiple mods:
> Morrowind and Oblivion (sorry, again...) have some mods which are rather
> "metamods". They combine several others into one.
I think it is good to limit the game to load just one mod. Like you
said, if people want to run multiple mods, they will have to create a
new mod for that, or devise some sort of package management system. Oh,
and mods should ONLY work in "vanilla" (no custom scripts/tech tree
mods) multiplayer and skirmish games.

We DO need to add support for network games with mods however. The game
needs to make sure everyone has the same mod. (by checking the md5 of
the .wz?)

Also mods should just plain be in the "mods" directory. By the way, does
anyone else think we've got a really messed up directory structure for
the data as well?

Zarel wrote:
> I do think we should merge mp.wz and warzone.wz
> back together.
+1
I think it is really annoying for people when they have finished the
campaign they will have to learn an almost completely different game.
And it complicates stuff for us.

- Gerard

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner-Platform_Effect