On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Guangcong Luo <za...@wz2100.net> wrote:
> Previously, the "player" column was something like "5 = available to
> human", and "1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 = available to AI". This is WELL
> DOCUMENTED [1], and is used this way in all Pumpkin code, old mods,
> new mods, etc.

What's with the screaming all caps?

Since the above documentation was written at the same time as the
faulty code I was fixing, I could not trust it to be correct (even if
I had known about it).

> I'm proposing another change that restores backwards-compatibility:
> rename the column to "available_to_humans", and have "5" or "YES" be
> available to humans (and every template is available to AIs). Then,
> for new `template.txt`, the column would always be either "YES" or
> "NO".

That will break compatibility with mods that have been written or
modified since beta10, though, since they will have zero for player
id.

> There is very little potential for bugs in this change, and is quite a
> minor change compared to, say, rewriting the template code, and I
> believe it is worth it, for backwards compatibility.

There are not that many mods that work with 2.3 anyway. I'd estimate
half of them are already adapted (NTW, Dydo). Perhaps it is easier to
just fix the 1-2 mods that exist and are still not adapted?

  - Per