On 24/04/11 08:04 AM, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
>  * We need a way for users to convert old maps to the new format. I
> will write a command-line app to do it, and Fastdeath has offered to
> set up a php service for it, using that app.
>  * Once a new map format is ready, we can start experimenting with a
> new map renderer. Of course, these things go together, so I assume
> that the new map format will have a few revisions before it is
> stabilized.
>  * The new map renderer should use shaders, but not require as much
> hardware as the current. Consider this statement ironical? Only if you
> have made a habit out of thinking that poor drivers mean weak
> hardware. But lots of recent weak/cheap hardware now have quite decent
> OpenGL ES 2 drivers. The new map renderer needs to be fast,
> maintainable, and extensible.
We first need to start writing down what we want as the format.
>  * QtGame (support for resolution changing) needs to be finished.
>  * Finally, we should be looking at utilizing Qt for making a new GUI,
> like we were thinking with betawidget. This task also does not need to
> be finished before stable release.
Last time I checked, for Qt widgets to work properly on all platforms
with Opengl we need to use a qgraphicsview and a qglwidget subclass, and
set the glwidget as the background for the graphics view (like this:
http://www.qtcentre.org/wiki/index.php?title=Accelerate_your_Widgets_with_OpenGL
).

When I was doing some testing of QtGame (on Windows), we ran into issues
with using the QGLWidget with normal widgets as children. The issues
(IIRC) were with event handling and widget rendering.
When I ran into these issues I coded a qgraphicsview based demo and it
did not exhibit the same problems (though creating widget layouts seemed
much more awkward).

Though this issue seemed to have magically gone away (maybe after a Qt
version upgrade), it is my opinion that this needs to be tested and
proven to be viable on all supported platforms.
I think this could be done by altering QtGame and getting feedback via
the forums (poll anyone?)

-Safety0ff