re having words with the developer..

The dev probably has what they feel is a good reason for using the
mouseup to select the item from the list..

Except for instances were it affects testability, or performance, I
generally try to stay away from telling the devs how to do their job
(lest they tell me how to do mine) <grin>.

OTOH if the purpose of the talk is to better understand how the dev
thinks, so you can have an easier time coding your automation, well in
that case have fun picking his brain and getting him to explain the
conventions he's using for making the controls work etc.   just make
sure s/he understands you are questioning to understand, not
questioning their coding skills or methods..